An exercise based program designed to improve balance and reduce dizziness
Who Benefits from Vestibular Rehabilitation?
Patients who can benefit from vestibular rehabilitation therapy are those diagnosed with dizziness, imbalance, vertigo, Meniere’s syndrome, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), neck-related dizziness, and migraines. Other candidates are patients who have had a stroke or brain injury or who frequently fall.
DIZZINESS IS DEFINED AS. . .
- Feelings of unsteadiness
- Wooziness (queasy and disoriented)
- Feelings of passing out
- Sensations of moving, spinning, swaying, tilting, or whirling
- These sensations occur when standing still, lying down, or changing positions
- Symptoms can last for seconds, minutes, or days
The Vestibular System
The primary role of the vestibular system is to tell the brain where the head is in space. Quite simply, the vestibular system is our internal reference telling the brain how our head is orientated – up, down, tilted, etc. People with vestibular – inner ear – disorders often experience problems with balance or movement–related dizziness. These symptoms affect a person’s ability to change positions (such as lying down and getting up from a chair) or move about without imbalance and vertigo. Loss of balance and dizziness can be debilitating and contribute to a diminished quality of life.
Balance and Dizziness Facts
- An estimated 90 million Americans (42% of the current population) experience dizziness at least once in their lifetime.
- For patients over 70 years of age, balance disorders and dizziness are the primary reasons for visiting a physician, and dizziness is a significant risk factor for falls.
- Falls have been estimated to be the leading cause of serious injury and death in persons older than 65 years.
- Falls account for 50% of accidental deaths in the elderly and 10% of falls result in hospitalization.
- The annual direct and indirect costs of fall-related injuries are estimated to reach $67.7 billion by the year 2020.
- Some estimates state that as many as half of all cases of dizziness are due to vestibular disorders.
- Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey found that those with symptomatic vestibular dysfunction have a 12-fold increase in the odds of falling.
FYZICAL® is a medical and scientific based therapy and fitness organization with a broad range of expertise. Yet we are much more than your typical physical therapy clinic. Our goal at FYZICAL® is to help you discover the pinnacle of healthy living, expand your boundaries, feel younger, and revitalize your health.